The Rosenbacher House, taking three years to build between 1906-1909, is one of the grandest examples of the Neo-Classical Revival style of architecture in Winston-Salem. It commands a towering spot above a terraced lawn overlooking West Fifth St, with its monumental two story central portico with Corinthian columns.
With over 5000 sf of finished living space (plus an additional 925 sf of attic space and 2313 sf unfinished basement), this imposing structure would lend itself readily to either a phenomenal residence once again, an office, restaurant, bed and breakfast, antique or boutique shop. It is situated very close to Winston-Salem's busy downtown restaurant district (mostly on 4th Street) and within walking distance of the new downtown minor league baseball park.
An added bonus to the property is a large 30-plus well-maintained paved parking lot where spaces can be rented by the month and/or used by residents or patrons.
The interior features of the house are as exceptional as the majestic exterior. The front entrance boasts a large front hall with original narrow hard wood floors with decorative inlays, separated from the rear stair hall by a grandiose Ionic columned arcade. Segmental arched sliding pocket doors serve as openings between the major rooms. The sweeping and ornate Colonial Revival staircase invites one to the numerous upstairs rooms.
One of the most impressive rooms in the house is the dining room characterized by a handsome Colonial Revival paneled mantel and overmantel, high paneled wainscot topped by a plate rail, a boxed beam ceiling, and what appears to be original wallpaper borders.
At the rear of the house is a large double room divided by an Ionic columned archway.
The Rosenbacher House is associated with Winston-Salem's phenomenal growth period from the late 1880's through the 1920's as textile and tobacco manufacturing reached new levels of production, ultimately leading Winston-Salem to become NC's largest city at the time.
This economic growth had spinoff effects to other commercial enterprises and enabled others like the Rosenbachers, who operated Rosenbacher and Brothers clothing store, to build handsome residences in the most prominent and formal architectural styles of the period. No expense was spared in the quality of the workmanship and materials.
The house has had only two owners since it was built as a residence and has recently been used as both an antique store and most recently a fine dining establishment. As a result most all of the electrical and plumbing work has been updated.
The back yard offers a privately secluded retreat and respite from the city.
While showing signs of deferred maintenance having been vacant for a number of years, the essentials of the house are ready to be reclaimed and refreshed to the home's original grandeur.
The property has been designated as a local Landmark and is thus eligible for a 50% property tax reduction. It is offered considerably under the assessed tax value. In addition, the house is a contributing structure in the West End National Register Historic District and is thus eligible for substantial historic rehabilitation tax credits.