2-story main house 2389 sq. ft. includes living room, kitchen with walk-in pantry, separate dining room, 3 bedrooms, office/den, 2 bathrooms and a sun porch/mudroom.
Hay barn 720 sq.ft. year old hay barn currently serving as part of the antique shop could be made into a studio or guesthouse.
Well house 9' x 15' (135 sq.ft.) currently being used as a garden/storage shed could be used as a guesthouse or small retail shop.
Large 100+ year-old magnolia trees, giant holly trees, willow oaks, walnut, white oak, gum, hackberry, dogwood and mimosa on property.
Newly planted fruit trees include 4 types of fig trees.
Vegetable garden in rear of house.
RENOVATIONS COMPLETED IN 2008
New electrical wiring throughout.
New plumbing throughout.
New galvanized metal roof and gutters on main house and well house.
New paint on house exterior and all interior walls.
New paint and sealing on exterior windows.
New crown moldings in formal living room and dining room.
New water well installed at a depth of 360 ft.
Insulation in 85% of house.
Re-pointed chimneys with custom chimney caps (3).
Rinnai LP gas tankless hot water heater.
Propane gas stove.
Wood burning stove in dining room.
New septic installed for 3 bedroom house in 2009.
Barn updated with stairway, door, windows, lights, ceiling fans.
The house's main living room (17' x 24') has two open fireplaces with matching period mantles on each end.
Living room, kitchen, bathrooms, upstairs hallway have recessed lighting.
Kitchen has black and crystal blue granite island with double porcelain Koehler sinks, custom white cabinets with stainless fixtures, stainless open shelving, stainless energy-efficient refrigerator, stainless pot rack with overhead "industrial" stainless lights and butcher clock countertops.
Black and white enamel 4-burner 1920s vintage Roper LP gas cook stove.
Original yellow pine paneling and new dry wall combination throughout.
2 upstairs bedrooms in front of house that connect with chimneys that have fireplaces. A third master bedroom has an insert for a woodstove.
Another room downstairs may be used as a bedroom, study or office space.
Large bedroom closets with cubbies in all 3 bedrooms.
Upstairs bathroom has a cast iron slipper claw foot bathtub/sprayer combination and linen closet.
Downstairs bathroom has a cast iron claw foot tub and shower combination.
Early 1900s 2-story wooden stairway with landing between downstairs/upstairs.
Sun porch/mudroom currently used for a washer/dryer area.
Original 2.5" oak hardwood flooring throughout.
Outdoor flagstone patio connects kitchen with well house.
Beveled glass French doors lead out from kitchen to outdoor patio.
Pocket windows in front bedrooms, back bedroom, upstairs hallway and downstairs bathroom.
All original divided glass windows with exception of 3 new windows installed during restoration in 2008.
Period lighting and ceiling fans throughout house.
All appliances - stainless refrigerator, dish washer, washer and dryer will accompany sale of house.
New owners will have option to purchase furnishings in house.
Purchase of on-site antiques retail business also optional.
AND OTHER ...
The Freeman-Boggs-Woody House is a designated Alamance County Landmark.
Property is located directly across from B. Everett Jordan Elementary School.
Low county taxes are deferred an additional 50% due to historic landmark designation.
No insecticidal spraying has been done on property.
Termite traps are installed around perimeter of house with yearly contract.
One-year home warranty offered to buyer(s).
House has great energy and a wonderful feeling of airiness - it's a happy house!
Super community, beautiful local people, great location as a country home or retail business - or both!
The Freeman-Boggs-Woody House (aka, Roxy Farms Antiques) was featured on the front cover of the February, 2012, issue of Alamance Magazine. The house has appeared in numerous other publications as well.
great place for a mini-farm, a bed & breakfast, weddings and events or a retail business such as a tea room, restaurant or antique shop!
It's a short walk from Roxy Farms to other established businesses in growing, historic Saxapahaw that include the Rivermill Village, Saxapahaw General Store, The Eddy Pub, Haw River Ballroom, Cup 22 Coffee Shop, Flying Beagle Books, Rivermill Massage and Yoga Studio, Haw River Canoe & Kayak Co., Saxapahaw Mercantile Store, Victory Calls Riding Stables, River Landing Inn B&B and Benjamin Vineyards & Winery.
Sue Dayton purchased the Greek Revival-style 2,628 sq. ft. house on 3.8 acres in early 2008 and restored it to its current condition. Later that same year she opened Roxy Farms Antiques, an antiques retail shop, located in the front room of the house. Due to the efforts of Sue's partner, David Mickey, the house received its designation as a county historic landmark in May of 2013. The house is also listed on Airbnb as Roxy Farms Antiques & Historic Guesthouse with 2 bedrooms available as rentals for visitors on a nightly basis.
The property on which the house was built was originally owned by the partnership of John Newlin and Sons. John Newlin built the Saxapahaw Cotton Factory in 1848. We believe the house may have been built by Newlin's son, James, in the 1840s. The 2,628 sq. ft. house is a 2-story Greek Revival style house located in the heart of Saxapahaw, NC, situated on 3.8 acres surrounded by woodlands. Also referred to as The House on The Hill," it sits back from the road atop a hill with a massive willow oak tree in the center of a circular driveway. The house is named on behalf of its past owners - Richard Freeman, Charlie Boggs and Frank Woody - all who played a major role in the house's celebrated history!
A number of families have lived in the house throughout the years. Many of its former residents were physicians in the community. Richard Freeman was a farmer who lived in the house before his death in 1860. He married Sarah Foust, who owned the 42 slaves who built the mill race at the Saxapahaw Cotton Factory. In her will Sarah left the slaves not to her husband, Richard, but to John Newlin on the grounds that he set them free. Sarah's death in 1839 spawned a contentious battle over her will and the fate of the slaves that went all the way to the North Carolina Supreme Court. Sarah's wishes were finally realized when in 1849 the court ruled in John Newlin's favor allowing Sarah's slaves to be taken to Ohio where they were set free. Other physicians who lived in the house included Richard Freeman's son, Dr. Franklin Freeman, his son Dr. Richard A. Freeman, Dr. G.K. Foust and Dr. Alfred Neese.
In the early 1900s, Charlie Boggs owned the house. Charlie was a local farmer and entrepreneur who farmed the land surrounding the house from which he sold produce to the mill workers at the Saxapahaw Cotton Factory. He owned a small market (CF Boggs Grocery & General Merchandise Store) that he built in front of the house along with a bicycle repair shop. The house at this time was truly the center of the community. According to the local old timers who still remember him, Charlie was a happy-go-lucky character whose whistling could be heard from one of the village to the other; he was always quick to lend a hand (or a small loan until pay day) to those in need.
Former Saxapahaw postmaster Frank Woody built the addition on the house in the early 1930s. Frank was a master carpenter and tore down the cook house which was separate from the house and used the wood in building onto the main house. The stairwell in the house was salvaged from a bank in Burlington. Ruth Woody, Frank's only living daughter, shared with us that the wooden walls that we uncovered in the dining room were once a part of the cookhouse. Frank Woody was famous for his "pocket windows" which he installed in the two upstairs' bedrooms, upstairs' hallway and back bedroom.