Constructed between 1830 and 1845, the Purvis House is one of the finest examples of a Federal-style house in Martin County. Original exterior features include the brick south chimney, nine-over-six and six-over-six sash windows with molded surrounds and a prominent row of dental molding accenting the cornice.
The house plan exhibits an evolution (or transition) from the earlier hall-and-parlor plan to a narrow center hall with a narrow stair rising from the rear through the south parlor. The interior features many fine details including eight raised-panel doors, flat-paneled wainscots and two exquisitely detailed “Edgecombe” mantels on the first floor.
The George Purvis House requires a complete rehabilitation including all new systems.