Barnett Carr House

  • 6960 S Hwy NC 41
    USA Wallace , NC 28466
    Duplin County
  • $50,000
  • 3,234 square feet
  • Lot Size: approx. 1 acres / Zoning: Residential
Contact:

Maggie Gregg , Regional Director
Preservation NC, Eastern Office
252-689-6678, mgregg@presnc.org

Located in Wallace, the Barnett Carr House is a beautiful two-story Victorian house with many original details and loads of potential. Located in Duplin County, the heart of North Carolina’s wine industry, the potential may be available to purchase additional acreage separately in order to be used as a winery, lovely bed and breakfast, or event center!

Area Information

Wallace is a small town with a population of 3,880 but is Duplin County’s largest population and retail trade center, serving an estimated 50,000 people in a surrounding three county area. Located about 45 minutes to Wilmington and 1.5 hours to Raleigh, Wallace is home to a charming downtown, many prosperous industries and an active Chamber of Commerce. Numerous civic and fraternal organizations host events and cultural activities throughout the year, including The Longleaf Arts & Crafts Guild, The Wallace-Rose Hill Friends of the Arts, and the Wallace Revitalization Association. The restored Wallace Depot train station houses the Wallace Chamber of Commerce, a transportation museum, a model train exhibit, a permanent collection room and the Longleaf Arts & Crafts Guild gallery. The Town’s Parks and Recreational department arrange recreational programs, and the Campbell Center—a multi-purpose recreational facility—offers many activities for the community. The town and Wallace Revitalization Association also operate the Wanoca Outdoor Amphitheater. Wallace has a local airport and an 18-hole golf course in the area. For more information, visit www.wallacenc.gov.

Architectural & Historical Information

An earlier federal two room house was built on the site by Barnett Carr (1795-1880) and dates to the early 19th century. It was first expanded by Jacob Obed Carr (1840-1914) sometime in the mid 19th century, who added four rooms to the front of the first story, and two rooms above making it a two-story structure. In the late 19th century, Snyder Hiriam Carr made further additions to the house, adding two more rooms upstairs and the Victorian porches, being the configuration that exists today.

The two-story front porch retains its beautiful sawnwork details with turned spindle porch posts. Interior features include diagonal beadboard wainscoting in the central hall on both the first and second stories, original windows and doors, wood mantels in the parlors, original hardwood floors and original baseboards and door moldings. There are four large bedrooms upstairs, the potential for a master bedroom downstairs, and a large sun room that could make a beautiful light-filled kitchen.

The property has been vacant for many years and suffered significantly from neglect. The front porches will need to be structurally stabilized in order to avoid further collapse, and structural repairs are needed in the sun room. At minimum, the roof requires repairs. The property will need a complete rehabilitation including carpentry and cosmetic repairs, installation of all new systems (plumbing, electrical and HVAC), and updates to the existing bath and kitchen. Prospective buyers will likely wish to create a master bedroom with bath, and potentially move the location of the existing kitchen in order to accommodate a more modern and spacious kitchen.

Click here to view the pdf brochure for the Barnett Carr House