Barrie Bascomb Blackwelder House
- 4,457 square feet
- Lot Size: 0.45 acres / Zoning: Residential/Commercial
, Executive Director
Hickory Landmarks Society, Inc.
Ideally located in downtown Hickory, the two-story Barrie Bascomb Blackwelder House (1914) is an excellent example of a Dutch Colonial Revival style mansion with a gambrel roof, central entrance portico, and grouped windows.
The Barrie Bascomb Blackwelde House, located across from the First Presbyterian Church and currently vacant, was adapted for commercial use beginning in the 1960s, but can be reverted back to residential. An impressive staircase adorns the entrance hall. Interior remodeling was completed in 1989 and is still intact featuring original interior woodwork, impressive staircase, original closet doors and windows, and original mantles frame fireplaces with capped chimneys. Multiple sunrooms have been added.
The house consists of 20-22 rooms including a basement (800+ square feet) that is used for storage and the gas furnace. There is an asphalt paved parking lot in the rear with space for up to 20 vehicles, as well as a rear garage. The house is currently undergoing exterior painting and minor wood repairs.
The Barrie Bascomb Blackwelder House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2018 and is a contributing part of the Oakwood Historic District expansion, therefore Federal and North Carolina rehabilitation tax credits are available. Preservation covenants apply.