Old Brick Store
- 6,220 square feet
- Lot Size: .107 acres / Zoning: Commercial
, Regional Director
Preservation NC, Piedmont Office
Built c.1835, known as the oldest brick store in Warrenton. Located on prominent corner in downtown Warrenton, a Main Street town listed in the National Register offering Redevelopment Incentive Grant, Revolving Loan Program and tax credits!
For over well 100 years this stately edifice has been known in Warrenton as the “Old Brick Store” earning the name as the lone survivor of several fires that ravaged the commercial district in the 19th and early 20th century. Situated on a prominent corner overlooking the courthouse, the sizable two-story building was built in the 1830s for merchant Robert Hyman of Edgecombe County by an area builder named Osborne. The Old Brick Store is a handsome transitional example of the Federal and Greek Revival styles along with later eras as large display windows and metal storefronts came into fashion.
Architectural and Historical Information
The Old Brick Store is laid in Flemish bond brick with a side-gabled, stepped parapet roof accented by a plastered lunette. The front façade is divided into two sections. The end closest to the courthouse has segmental-arched, six-over-six wood sash windows in the second story, and a recessed entry between large plate glass windows with decorative paneling below. The south end windows have nine-over-one sash with flat arches on the second story and a large plate glass display window with a double leaf door providing exterior stair access below. A one-story rear addition provides additional space and access to the back of the building.
The interior is divided into two large store rooms on the first floor with a stairway between. Intact pressed metal ceiling remains on one of the sections. The second floor is divided into large and small office spaces with a lateral hallway. Vestiges of early decorative woodwork can be found in certain offices including plaster walls, reeded door and window architraves, molded panels beneath windows, an original six-panel door, paneled wainscot and chair rails, and tall baseboards. Later “updates” include beaded board wainscot, decorative pressed metal ceilings, and half-glazed paneled doors with gilded lettering of names of previous occupants. Large six-over-six windows provide ample light and half-glazed, double-leaf paneled doors provide access to the Market St. (courthouse) and Main Street facades. Massive granite steps lead to the Market St. entrance.
The Old Brick Store would benefit from updated systems and bathrooms, and will need repair to historic windows and damage caused by previous leaks. A new roof was installed on the rear addition in 2016. It is a contributing structure in the National Register Historic District and is eligible for historic tax credits. It is zoned C-1 and can be rehabilitated for retail, office, or mixed-use including second floor residential. The Town of Warrenton offers revitalization and economic development incentives including the Revolving Loan Program, Downtown Redevelopment Incentive Grant, and the Awning Program, for more on these programs visit: http://www.warrenton.nc.gov/page/bus_home
The picturesque Town of Warrenton is located near Kerr Lake and only an hour from Raleigh. Its well-preserved small town character has been rediscovered and enjoys a thriving community life. Formed in 1779, Warren County is located along Interstate 85 and is known as a “gateway of the Carolinas.” It retains an impressive collection of intact plantation houses and a variety of architecture harkening to its heyday as a center of agricultural enterprise, academies, home to leading political figures, and sulfur springs resorts that drew famous names to the area first by wagon then by train. Dozens of properties are listed in the National Register of Historic Places including much of historic Warrenton, the county seat and a designated Main Street town. Only one hour to research Triangle Park region and 1.5 hours to Richmond, VA. The Town of Warrenton offers attractive economic development incentives!
For more on these incentives visit: