Colin M. Yoder House
- 2,784 square feet
- Lot Size: .3 acres / Zoning: R-3
Hickory Landmark Society
828-308-4738 or 828-322-4731, firstname.lastname@example.org
The one-and-one-half-story Yoder house, built in 1920-1921, is an excellent example of a Craftsman styled bungalow, with its broad gable roof, widely overhanging eaves, gabled front dormer with truss work ornament in the gable peak, and wraparound porch. Sheathing material varies from the replacement aluminum siding of the first story to the coursed wood shingles of the upper story. The porch boasts heavy granite posts and a low granite wall, quarried from Mt. Airy, NC. A shallow bay projects from the west elevation, and two interior chimneys pierce the roof ridge.
In 1986 the Yoder House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a contributing building with the Claremont High School Historic District.
Total rooms: 8 + enclosed heated rear porch
Interior is well maintained and intact, except for earlier removal of a pantry. Casements for the custom made glass front door and windows are stained wood. Pocket doors lead to a study room. Original mantles frame fireplaces for sealed chimneys. Attic storage is accessed through second floor closets. Basement storage is over 800 sq. ft.
Colin Monroe Yoder (1863-1953) was the son of Colonel G.M. Yoder, a commissioned officer in the Civil War, and Rebecca R. (Herman) Yoder. Before and after he moved his family to Hickory, Yoder owned a large farm in Catawba County, one mile south of Propst’s Crossroads. At his farm, between 1895 and 1905, Colin M. Yoder produced folk pottery, which he then sold in Mocksville, western Davie county, northern Iredell county, southern Wilkes county, and Alexander County. A charter member of the Grace Lutheran Church, he became a member of the Holy Trinity Lutheran Church when he moved to Hickory. Yoder attended Catawba College and then taught school for forty-three years, beginning at age seventeen. He married Emma Clementine Yoder (1885-1951), a distant relative. In 1912 he was elected Catawba County Commissioner. According to Colin’s youngest son, all of the lumber used to build the house was obtained from the farm and processed by the Hutton and Bourbonnais Company of Hickory. The granite was obtained in large slabs and cut by stonemasons on the site. Robert White was the chief carpenter. Yoder’s daughter, Annie L. Yoder, a registered nurse at the Richard Baker Hospital (now the Frye Regional Medical Center), lived in the house until it was sold to Floyd Thomas Barger, Sr. and his wife Dorothy Duggan Barger in 1968. Floyd Thomas Barger, Sr. was a supervisor in the sewing room at Hickory Chair. The house is currently owned by Floyd T. Barger, Michael Barger, Kathy Barger Fritz Smith and the estate of Tom Barger.
The Yoder House is located across Fifth Avenue from Frye Regional Medical Center and is the second of five National Register properties along the street. Neighborhood schools include Oakwood Elementary and Hickory High. Roof replaced ca. 2005-06. Lower bathroom handicap accessible. Natural gas heat. Plaster walls. Rear yard in fenced contains a gazebo and two-bay car port.
Preservation covenants apply.