Colonel A.C. Davis House
- 3,800 square feet
- Lot Size: .5 acres / Zoning: R-10
Richard and Judy Poteat
The two-story Victorian house was built in 1887 and is the only known surviving and intact building of the former 1880s Davis Military Academy, a military preparatory school.
A domed tower dominates the front entrance. The wrap-around porch is trimmed in decorative gingerbread molding. The double front doors with etched glass lead into a center foyer and hall which features a ships stern style screen and a 15-step staircase is anchored by a one piece carved walnut newell post.
Windows with stained glass surrounds are common to all the first floor rooms. Twin front parlors exhibit one room having 4 large 10’ windows with pegged sashes and the other room, a bay window.
Two interior brick chimneys accommodate seven fireplaces, two with marble mantels. The house is zoned for heating/cooling (gas pack; gas logs; wood stove). Other features include heart pine floors throughout, decorative woodwork and raised panel doors. 12’ ceilings are common to most of the 3800 sq. ft. house. There are two full baths on the first floor and one full bath on the 2nd floor. The updated kitchen includes stainless steel appliances with soapstone kitchen countertops. All renovations and updates have been sensitive to the original personality of the house.
This very solid house retains its original slate roof along with a new (2010) terne tin porch roof. The property includes a two-car shelter and a Smoke House. The spacious backyard is fenced and there is a large vegetable garden area.
The A.C. Davis house is listed on the National Historical Register. La Grange is centrally located (75 miles each way) between Raleigh and Morehead City; and also only 35 miles from Greenville and East Carolina University.