Creek Homeplace & Store
- 2,200 square feet
- Lot Size: 22 acres / Zoning: Residential
Lisa Dye Janes
Weichert, Realtors - Mark Thomas Properties
“Creek Home Place and Store” is protected by Preservation North Carolina. It consists of a charming, historic farmhouse, several outbuildings, including a very large old store, and 22 acres of property, some cleared and some wooded. It is located near Warrenton, NC, just a few miles south of the golf course on NC Hwy 58, a good road which is not noisy or too busy. Warrenton is about an hour and 15 minutes from Raleigh, 2 hours from Richmond, VA, and about 15 miles south of the Virginia border. The original log section of the house dates back to the early 1800s. Over the years, the two room log house grew with the family and was enlarged by enclosing porches and adding rooms until today it is about 2200 square feet of comfortable, cozy living space, complete with modern amenities.
The house has been respectfully renovated with up to date wiring, plumbing, DSL, insulation, storm windows, forced air heat, and central air, but it retains its original charm and most of its original features, many of which are protected by the covenants (mantels, floors, doors, moldings and ceilings). The house sits back from the road behind a white board fence. Follow the driveway through the gate to the front porch of the house. The yard contains large oak, maple, pine, pecan and walnut trees as well as flower beds and boxwoods which are original to the house. Behind the house are four outbuildings, the privy, the milk house (now the chicken house), the old log smokehouse and the potato house which is painted dark red. (It’s actually a storage building.) The well has cold, clean water. There is a very small creek down the path through the trees behind the house.
The house has three porches, one with a swing. There are two bedrooms with closets, three if you count the room with the fireplace, and two full bathrooms, one with a claw foot tub. There are two perfect stone fireplaces, one of which was completely restored in 2011. Both have their original mantles. There is a large dining room, a very large, eat-in kitchen with a wood burning stove, and a spacious pantry which also serves as the laundry room. In the central hall is a door to the tight winder stairway which reveals the original logs and which leads to the second story above the oldest portion of the house. The second floor has been plumbed for another bathroom and could be finished with at least two additional rooms.
The 22 acres include a small creek, a pine and hardwood forest which can soon be harvested, and about 4 acres around the house which serve as lawn. Across the road sits the very large old store which is dark red with dark green trim. It opened in about 1880. It still contains the original display cabinets, counters, shelves, drawers and the remnants of the old post office and telephone switchboard. It was run by the Pridgen/Davis family who lived in Creek HomePlace, and the store goes with the house. There is still some of the merchandise in the store that was there when it closed. The original shelves and counters are there. The original, hand written sales ledgers are there. The building is about 60 feet long and about 25 feet wide and is two full stories tall. The second floor provides great storage for the old contents of the store. It has a large wood burning stove. After the store closed in the 1930s, the store was used for storage and is currently used as a hobby woodworking shop. It is sound and delightful.
Originally part of Lake O’ the Woods plantation, the Creek Homeplace was given to Burwell Davis by his parents when he returned from the Civil War. The oldest part of the house is a two story hand hewn log structure possibly dating to the late 18th century. The stone chimney stacks, floors, ceilings, mantels, and windows are original to the house. One large built-in cupboard in the dining room is full of documents, pictures, old family letters, and memorabilia that stay with the house. There is also a collection of memorabilia in the pantry that partially tells the family history and the old stories associated with the house.
As the house passed through generations of the Davis and Prigeon families, rooms were added and porches enclosed. Today, Creek Homeplace is a rambling farmhouse with features characteristic of several architectural styles. Early styles include sheathed walls and ceilings with wooden door and window surrounds while later additions include bead board wainscot and ceilings and built in cabinets. There are several original outbuildings, a milk house, an ice house, a privy, and a general store. The large store, built about 1880, sits across the road. The store functioned until 1938 as mercantile, telephone exchange, and post office.
The community of Inez, south of Warrenton, has many antique houses including Cherry Hill, known for its Sunday concerts. Lake O’ the Woods Plantation, which owned the Creek House property before the Civil War, is just around the corner. The people in the area are friendly and welcoming. The town of Warrenton, the county seat, is known for its historic buildings, art shops, and antiques stores and a community college branch.
The historic Creek Homeplace and Store is under protective covenants held by Preservation North Carolina. Please contact Dawn Williams at email@example.com or 919-832-3652 x 221 to request a copy of these covenants.