David Woodard House
- 4,512 square feet
- Lot Size: 0.60 acres / Zoning: Urban Residential
Kathryn Ferrari Bethune
Preservation of Wilson
This handsome, large two-story frame Queen Anne residence was built at the turn of the century in Woodard Circle, one of Wilson’s most fashionable neighborhoods between 1897 and 1917. This house is the only survivor of the seven large residences which once stood on the northwest side of North Goldsboro Street between Vance and Gold Streets.
The house requires a full restoration. The first floor has a large center hall with stairs to the right as you enter the front door. There are three fireplaces and almost a dozen rooms including a small kitchen, one full bath and one-half bath. As you enter the upstairs there is a spacious landing taking you to several large rooms, two full baths, one fireplace and access to the attic.
The house is located next to the Confederate Military Hospital No. 2 Museum which is on the NC Civil War Trails.
The Confederacy organized its Medical Department late in 1861 and within months, in April of 1862, the NC General Military Hospital No. 2 was established in Wilson in what was once the Wilson Female Seminary. The hospital made Wilson known outside of the state of NC as it was listed as one of 21 principal hospitals in the State. It is now part of the NC Civil War Trails.
The zoning is Urban Residential which has been established to accommodate a variety of housing types in a neighborhood setting. The regulations of this district allow the property to be used as a Bed and Breakfast and also permits home based businesses.
The house was built by the sons of Warren and Jerusha Farmer. The family were large landowners in Wilson. Warren and Jerusha built a one-story house on Goldsboro Street by 1882. That house was razed between 1897 and 1903 and replaced with three impressive Queen Anne residences for the Woodard’s three sons; Walter Farmer (1871-1923); James Edwards who died in 1915; and David Woodard (1868-1922); all three were farmers.
The three Woodard brothers were the second owners of Wilson’s first tobacco warehouse owning it from 1891 until circa 1900. In 1901, David Woodard married Nellie Moye of Wilson and this house was apparently erected at that time.
The tree bay-by-two bay, asymmetrically-massed house is sheltered under a tall hipped roof that has pedimented gables on each of the four elevations. The front (southeast) gable contains a Palladian window and the other three contain single round-arched windows. A porch carried by turned posts connected by a turned balustrade wraps across the South Goldsboro and East Gold Street elevations; a pediment extends slightly on the façade to cover the central steps. Fenestration consists of single or double one-over-one sash windows in flat surrounds.
The central entrance has colored glass in the transom. Two rear ells, one gabled and the other hipped, occupy the rear elevation. A two bay-by-two bay hipped wing extends from the front of the southwest elevation and was added after 1930. The gabled rear ell was enlarged in 1980 by Legal Services of NC, Inc. who purchased the house in 1979. It was designed to blend with the older part of the house and the interior basically follows its original plan. The stair hall contains a handsome closed-stringer stair with slender turned spindles, a large newel, and paneled wainscot.
Woodard lived here until his death in 1922 and his family then moved in with E. L. Tarkenton at 803 West Nash Street. The house was then used as rental property and was divided into three apartments circa 1950. It remained apartments until renovated into offices. It was sold again in 2008 and is under restoration as a single family residence.
Wilson is pleasantly appealing in any season and offers an uncomplicated lifestyle. It’s location is ideal just 40 minutes from Raleigh, two hours from the beach, just under five hours to the mountains, an hour to the Raleigh-Durham International Airport, and half way between Miami and New York via I-95 or Amtrak. Wilson is home to two colleges, the state’s fastest fiber-optic Internet connections available in every home, tree-lined neighborhoods, five historic districts, a vibrant arts community and a roster of companies the envy to many metropolitan areas.
For more information, visit www.preservationofwilson.com.