Dr. Long House
- 4,700 square feet
- Lot Size: 1.65 acres / Zoning: Commercial
Keller Williams Realty
This turn-of-the-century Colonial Revival home is on a double lot just two blocks from the city’s main square.
The stately all-brick residence has six bedrooms, a sleeping porch, four full baths, and five fireplaces. In addition to 4,700 square feet of heated living space, the home has a full attic and basement that bring the total interior size to more than 10,000 square feet.
Interior details include hardwood floors throughout, beautiful stained original moldings and trim, pocket doors in the front formal rooms and transom lights on doors on the second floor.
The house was built for Dr. and Mrs. Henry Fletcher Long on property adjacent to the hospital founded by Dr. Long. The house was completed in 1914. Because the family’s first home was destroyed by fire, the Longs insisted that this house be “fireproof,” with features including 12-inch solid brick exterior walls, a slate and metal roof, 8-inch thick interior walls that were covered in concrete before plaster was applied. An independent appraiser has calculated that it would cost $4,299,076 to duplicate the house today. (Replacement cost insurance is surprisingly affordable at $1,726/year however.)
Also on the property is a 22′ x 34′ three-car garage that was first built as a carriage house. Another 14′ x 28′ building on the site dates from the late 1800s and was used as an ironing house for the hospital laundry. Other buildings on the property include a 12′ x 14′ smokehouse, and an 18′ x 24′ single-car garage.
An expansive courtyard at the back of the home is said to have been paved with the bricks from the foundation of the original family home, which burned.
In 1959, the Longs’ youngest son, Dr. Robert Long, DDS, bought a portion of the property and operated a dental practice there. That 1,500-square-foot building remains. After the death of his mother, Robert Long purchased the residence from the estate and lived there with his family until his passing in October 2004.
These properties are held by the Dr. Robert Long Trust and are being offered for sale as a single unit.
The Long House Property is under protective covenants held by Preservation North Carolina. Please contact Dawn Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-832-3652 x221 to request a copy of these covenants.