- 2,372 square feet
- Lot Size: 10.26 acres / Zoning: Residential
, Regional Director
Preservation NC, Eastern Office
A short commute to Greenville, this charming farmhouse is an excellent opportunity for a hobby farm close to all of the amenities!
The Edwards -Turnage House is transitional Federal to Greek Revival farmhouse and outbuildings located on 10 acres in Ormondsville, Greene County. The house retains a high integrity of historic elements including paneled U stair and flush wide board clad walls in the central hall. The side parlors contain beautiful wide bull-nose capped chair rail and tripartite fireplace mantels. The rear ell currently contains the kitchen and one bath, along with a side porch that was enclosed in the 20th century. The original two story portico with balcony was replaced with a single story full length porch in the early 20th century, but the orginial porch is easily distinguishable by changes in siding on the second story and flush sheathing framed by pilasters. Outbuildings include a side gable packhouse, a large smokehouse, and a long one story crib. Other outbuildings associated with the tobacco industry in eastern NC are of a later construction and include a drying shed and tobacco barns.
Architectural and Historical Information
The Edwards-Turnage house c. 1852 is a fine Federal form with Greek revival details. The two story single pile house has flush eaves with accompanying rake boards and nine over six double hung windows, which are typical of the Federal style. The original two story center bay portico with balcony was replaced with a single story full width porch, most likely in the early 20th century. The second story door(s) were also converted to a central window at this time. Changes in the siding on the second story correlate to the dimensions of the wide flush sheathing on the first floor, anchored by plain pilasters. The original two panel double doors are surrounded by a five light transom. On either side of the front hall, the rooms feature plaster walls with a beaded baseboard and chair rail with wide bull nosed cap. The central hall has flush sheathed walls. The U shaped stair is fully paneled, with a single raised square inset per panel. The newel posts are a simple square with molded cap. The doors and windows have three part molded surrounds, and the doors are two panel. All mantels are matching tripartite mantles with plain pilaster legs and wide molded cornices. Several outbuildings remain with the property with varying degrees of structural integrity.
The Edward- Turnage house is dated circa 1850-1852 based on the purchase of the land by William Franklin Edwards in 1850. However, exterior characteristics are similar to earlier houses in the region, so the structure could date to the 1840’s. Edwards increased his acreage from the original 117 acres in 1850 to 200 acres by 1860. Edwards ran a successful orchard that included apples and peaches. He also produced wine, beeswax and honey. In 1892, Edwards sold the house to Elias Turnage whose descendants owned the house well into the 20th century. Alterations by the Turnage family include enclosing a one story porch on the back ell and the single story full width front porch.
Just a short drive from Greenville, Ormondsville in Greene County retains its rural agricultural feel while being located close to amenities. Simply Natural Creamery and Strawberries on Hwy 903, both popular with Greenville residents, are located nearby.