Former Selma Town Hall
- Lot Size: .17 acres / Zoning: Commercial
, Regional Director
Preservation NC, Piedmont Office
Three commercial buildings for the price of one! Situated on a prominent corner in Selma’s downtown historic district, the location is ideal for mixed-use development. In an Opportunity Zone and eligible for historic tax credits. Thirty minutes to Raleigh!
Each building of the former Selma Town Hall displays a distinct style of commercial architecture, while offering plenty of square footage for mixed use development. Great opportunity for retail/restaurant/office on the first floor and residential or office on the second floor.
The former Bank
The stately Neoclassical Revival-style edifice on the corner of Raiford and Anderson Streets was built in 1922 as the People’s Bank. In 1928 it became the Branch Bank & Trust (BB&T) until 1968 when it was donated to the Town of Selma and converted to municipal offices. Built of sand-colored brick, it features monumental cast stone Corinthian columns, a large cut-stone entrance arch with a scrolled keystone, and deep cornice crowned by a peaked parapet. The Anderson Street side displays additional ornament including a continuation of the cast stone cornice, engaged brick pilasters, and brick fretwork panels between the upper and lower windows. The exterior doors and windows are the result of a mid-century update. The main floor of the interior retains terrazzo-style floors and a large vault. Suspended ceilings currently cover up the tall heavily corniced ceiling. The staircase leads to a mezzanine floor comprised of two bathrooms and an office. The top floor contains a large open room and a smaller meeting room. The building has approximately 1,870sf per floor.
The former Quality Store
The two-story brick commercial building may have been built around 1950 where the Quality Store opened in 1952. It eventually served as a Town Hall annex and is connected to the bank building next door through an interior door opening. The Raiford Street facade displays two storefronts covered in large plate glass windows shaded by striped cloth awnings on the first floor and replacement sash windows on the second. The only exterior door is located on the rear elevation accessible from the parking lot. The interior is divided into several office spaces on the first floor. A wood staircase near the rear elevation door leads up to a large open space with wood floors and ceiling, and plaster walls. The building has approximately 4,300sf per floor.
The former House’s Grocery
The former House’s Grocery Store may have been built around 1920 and is located behind the bank building along Anderson Street. This two-story building displays ornamental brickwork along the cornice, and segmental arches over 2-over-4 sash wood windows. A double-row of soldier course brick divides the first and second story. The storefront is comprised of large display windows, two entry doors (one with a transom) underneath a canvas awning. A former arched door opening was enclosed and houses an air conditioner. The building has approximately 1,040sf per floor. The building is not connected to the two other buildings and is currently rented to a local florist.
The two Raiford Street buildings served as the Selma Town Hall for nearly fifty years until they were vacated in 2015. The former House’s Grocery on Anderson Street was leased by the Town to retail businesses and is currently a florist shop. There is both on street and off-street parking. The properties are located in an Opportunity Zone and National Register and local historic districts and are eligible for tax credits.