Frank L. Matthews House – STRUCTURE ONLY
- 8,553 square feet
Built in 1908 the Matthews House is a two-story Colonial Revival structure, currently being used as commercial office space. The original portion of the building has two bay windows. The interior of the space features carpet, hardwood floors, plaster walls, many original doors, and original prism glass door lights and transom at the front door. There are ornate fireplaces and mantels in the house as well as a beautiful stained glass window at the stair landing. There are several offices on both the first and second floors of the original house, and one full bath on the second floor. The first floor addition on the west end of the house contains a main lobby area with some office areas in the rear, breakroom and two half-baths. In the addition, floors are carpet and ceilings are acoustical tile. The rear addition contains three rooms and two half baths that are directly accessible from the original house. The finished basement is beneath the addition only, and it has carpeted floors, acoustical tile ceilings, and two-half baths. Total square footage including all additions is 8553 square feet. The Mathews House is for sale for $1 until 3/31/20.
The house is owned by Augsburg Lutheran Church and received a COA (Certificate of Appropriateness) from the Historic Resources Commission which will permit their demolition beginning September 4, 2020. The church is cooperating with Preservation Forsyth and its partners to examine solutions for saving the house. The house is a contributing structure in the West End National Register Historic District and could be eligible for the North Carolina and federal preservation tax credits.
Preservation Forsyth is working closely with the West End Neighborhood Association to preserve this important historic structure through its sale and relocation.
For more information, or to make arrangements to see the houses contact George Edwards at Preservation Forsyth, email@example.com.