Free Liberty United Christian Church

  • 151 Hammond Road
    USA Pinebluff , NC 28373
    Moore County
  • $30000
  • 1,500 square feet
  • Lot Size: 0.315 acres / Zoning: R-30
Contact:

Cathleen Turner , Regional Director
Preservation NC, Piedmont Office
919-401-8540, cturner@presnc.org

Calling for creativity! This quaint but spacious church situated in the restive sandhills region among native longleaf pines would make a perfect artist retreat or weekend getaway.  Located only about ten miles from Pinehurst and Southern Pines, it could offer the best of both worlds for those who enjoy the peace and quiet of a “country” location, with all of the amenities offered by the nearby resort towns. Click here for examples of churches that have been used for renewed purposes.

Area Information

The quiet location of the church in Addor (now Pinebluff) is located in the Sandhills, an area formed by ancient sand dunes that divide the Piedmont and Coastal regions of North Carolina.  It is only about ten miles from Pinehurst and Southern Pines. Pinehurst, known as the “Cradle of American Golf”, is home to the famous Pinehurst Resort, The Country Club of North Carolina, numerous outdoor activities including golf, tennis and equestrian events, boutique shops, excellent restaurants, art and pottery galleries, and much more. Southern Pines also offers many modern conveniences, as well as historic attractions (such as the Shaw House and Weymouth) and a charming main street. Addor is less then an hour from Fayetteville, and just under two hours from Charlotte.

Architectural and Historical Information

This late-19th century church was constructed around the time the new town of Keyser was established on the Raleigh to Augusta Airline Railway around 1880. The name was changed to Addor in 1918.

The church has sustained a few changes during its long history including the addition of shingles and replacement front doors. The interior remains largely open space with wood floors, diagonal tongue and groove wainscot, and an octagonal apse on a raised platform, separated by a railing supported by turned balusters, and topped by a tongue and groove ceiling covered in brilliant blue paint. This rear section may have been added in the early 20th century.

Decorative features are simple yet attractive including variations of tongue and groove wainscot, ceilings, and a striking towers featuring pointed arch vents, metal shingle roof covering and an octagonal spire.

The Free Liberty Church will require a compete rehabilitation including all new systems and some restoration carpentry.

Click here to view the pdf brochure for the Free Liberty United Church