Methodist Parsonage — UNDER CONTRACT
- 2,866 square feet
- Lot Size: 1 acres / Zoning: Residential
, Regional Director
Preservation NC, Piedmont Office
Gracious Colonial Revival house located in the Carthage Historic District. Just 20 minutes from renowned golfing at Pinehurst and Southern Pines!
The Methodist Parsonage was built in 1922 as the second parsonage for the Carthage Methodist Church (1898) which is located just across the street. The main entrance opens into a large open plan accented with deep cornice moldings, chair rails, French doors, wood floors, and simple mantel in the formal areas. Butlers pantry and comfortable kitchen are ready for updates. Spacious porches and yard. Rehabilitation needs include some masonry work on chimney caps, some carpentry repair (eaves), removal of vinyl siding and remodel or removal of garage addition, paint, and will likely need a new roof soon. The house will also benefit from kitchen and bath updates and is eligible for tax credits.
Architectural and Historical Information
Situated on McReynolds Street, the main artery through the county seat that once served as the Fayetteville and Western Plank Road, the Methodist Parsonage presents classic Colonial Revival stateliness with its symmetrical façade, bookended by roomy side porches, a Tuscan columned arched entrance with transom, and a large hipped roof that tops a spacious interior.
The main entrance opens into a large open plan combining classical Colonial Revival features with some Craftsman period details. Deep cornice moldings, chair rails, French doors, wood floors, and a brick Craftsman mantel accent the formal areas. Paired windows, and French doors leading to the side porches let in lots of light. A door from the dining room leads into a butlers pantry and comfortable kitchen. A door from the living room leads into the stair hall and a den (or first-floor master bedroom) that features a more stylized mantel, small room and full bathroom. The second floor has three nice-sized bedrooms, a full bath and a smaller room that was perhaps used as a dressing room.
The spacious brick side porches, each covered by a standing seam roof, have views of the one-acre lot and the beautiful Victorian church across the street. Landscaping includes mature plantings of the period including a lovely palm, dogwood, and a variety of shade trees.
The house is habitable and systems have been updated in recent years. Cosmetic and rehabilitation needs include some masonry work on chimney caps, carpentry repair (ex. eaves), removal of vinyl siding, paint and remodel or removal of a corrugated metal garage addition. The composition shingle roof may need replacement soon. The house will also benefit from kitchen and bath updates and is eligible for tax credits.
The Town of Carthage was established in 1776 and serves as the county seat of Moore County, which was settled largely by Scottish immigrants traveling up the Cape Fear valley. The success of the local buggy manufacturing industry from about 1850 – 1929 led to the construction of many of the historic homes now found along Carthage’s main streets. Home to world class golf, Pinehurst and Southern Pines are only 20 minutes away. Other recreational areas include the beautiful Uwharrie Mountains where outdoor enthusiasts can enjoy boating, hiking and history/archaeology in just 40 minutes. Residents can reach the Research Triangle Park/Raleigh- Durham area or Fayetteville within an hour.