The Roanoke River Mill
- 9,400 square feet
- Lot Size: 5 acres / Zoning: Mixed Use/Commercial-Residential
Built in 1892 in Weldon by the Roanoke Navigation Company as a corn mill, this beautiful restored property situated on five acres at the falls on the Roanoke River is steeped in history. It is located at the terminus of the Roanoke Navigation Canal and is on the National Register as a part of that seven mile historic walking trail that follows the course of the river upstream to Roanoke Rapids Lake.
The building and grounds were the site of the first “Rockfish” (striped bass) hatchery in the United States as well as the site of the first commercial electric power plant in North Carolina. Within a one mile radius of the building are significant canal structures, civil war fortifications, historic railroad structures and the best striped bass fishing on the east coast during April and May.
The property is over five acres with 500 feet of waterfront on the Roanoke River and includes an additional small power plant (@1800 sq. ft.) that could be restored also. When we restored the main building we preserved the flexibility to utilize the property for either residential or commercial uses. There are three floors and a basement in the main portion of the building with an additional two story annex attached.
The new slate roof was installed in 2008. All of the windows have been replaced and a two new 2-ton heat pumps have been installed on the first floor. The first floor and basement have been fully restored using reclaimed on site materials or like kind material from other salvage properties. There is a half bath on the first floor and two half baths in the basement. The basement also has a commissary kitchen with a three bay sink and a refrigerator. The floors on the first level and in the basement are pine; the second floor annex is pine and the second main floor is oak. The third floor was completely replaced and has six inch pine floors. The main trusses are visible on the third floor with a total elevation from the floor to the peak of 24 feet. The building is currently wired with a 200 amp service but has the capacity to be 400 amp. The front balcony and railing are new to the building and replicate the renovations done by the WPA in the 1930’s. The flat area to the left of the building was a swimming pool that was filled and could utilized again if desired.
Uses that have been suggested for the property have included residential housing, winery, craft brewery, bed and breakfast, boutique hotel, hunting and fishing lodge, corporate retreat, event facility, and a travel center with campground.
Feel free to call 252-676-4309 if interested in more historical information or additional opportunities related to the property.
Possible owner financing dependent on situation.