Jones Gap Baptist Church S.A.F.E Day!
Saturday November 17
8:30 am - 1:30 pm
We need your help at our S.A.F.E. (Saving Architecture For Everyone) Day at the Jones Gap Baptist Church in Hendersonville from 8:30am to 1:30pm!
Jones Gap Baptist Church, a red neo-gothic revival church built on the ridge of Jones Gap, has been disused since 1998, when its congregation moved to a new church building across Hebron Road. Click here for more about the church.
The volunteer S.A.F.E. team, which will clean-up and secure the church, will help us prevent further decline and attract potential purchasers. All levels of strength and ability are welcome — we need as many helping hands as possible! Refreshments and Lunch will be provided to volunteers!
If you plan to participate, please contact Ted Alexander by e-mail email@example.com or call 704-482-3531.
Skilled and unskilled volunteer help needed to:
- Install temporary roof with tarp
- Clear the grounds around the church
- Remove the debris from the sanctuary
- General securing of the property
Items needed for donation:
- Tarps for the roof, synthetic underlay, membrane
- Tar paper
- 1×6’s, especially 10’ long
- Nails, screws
Tools to bring ( PLEASE MARK ALL ITEMS WITH YOUR FIRST AND LAST NAMES USING A PERMANENT MARKER ON MASKING TAPE):
- Work gloves, hard hats, safety glasses, masks
- Flat head shovels, chain saws, yard slings, gas weed eaters, rakes, wheel barrows
- Hammers, electric drills, screw drivers, crowbars, saw horses, general tools
- Buckets, ropes, ladders
- Scaffolding sand or scaffolding planks
- Construction –duty trash bags
- Trucks to haul off brush and debris
- Large sheets of plexiglass
Parking will be across the street at the new Jones Gap Baptist Church parking lot. All volunteers must complete a “Release and Waiver Liability” form before working on a Preservation NC S.A.F.E event (forms will be available at the event).