Dr. Samuel Perry House

  • 1405 Laurel Mill-Centerville Road
    USA Louisburg , NC 27549
    Franklin County
  • $499,000
  • 4,650 square feet
  • Lot Size: 22 acres / Zoning: Residential
Contact:

Peter Andrews
919-853-4145, peterandrews@earthlink.net

The Dr. Samuel Perry House, called “Oakley,” is a Greek Revival/Italianate plantation house situated near Centerville in the northeast corner of Franklin County. It was built in 1857 for Dr. Samuel Perry, a farmer and physician, by Jacob W. Holt, a master carpenter and builder. It was originally the manor house of a 3100-acre plantation.  Jacob Holt was an important builder who built houses from the 1840s through the 1870s. Holt was born near Farmville, VA, and built his first houses there. He moved to Warrenton in the mid-1850s where he had a large lumber yard and millwork shop.  He is best known for his Greek Revival/Italianate mansions, such as this one.

Standing amid large oak trees at the end of a long driveway, the architectural details of the house are typical of Holt’s work. The house is entirely symmetrical with two stories, four equal-sized rooms on each floor, and wide center halls on each story, connected by front and back stairways. The front entrance, which is 12 feet wide, is very grand and elaborate and features two side panels, a transom, and a large double door. One of the front rooms and the front center hall still have the original marbleized baseboards.

The house is listed in the National Register of Historic Places (1975) primarily for its architectural significance. It sits on 22 acres of the original tract. An adjoining 22-acre tract is also available for sale with the property. The adjoining tract is not under PNC covenants. The Dr. Samuel Perry House has been featured twice in Franklin County historic homes tours and was shown in a Franklin County mini-tour sponsored by Preservation NC. The house may qualify for 50% county property tax deferral and for federal and state historic restoration tax credits

The Andrews purchased the Dr. Perry House from Perry/Alston family members in 1998 and completed a full but conservative restoration in 2012. The restoration included a new well, new roofing, exterior and interior painting, two full modern bathrooms, and one upstairs half-bathroom, new electrical, plumbing and heating systems, and replacement of architectural elements that had been stolen: the front columns, interior and exterior doors, and four downstairs mantles. The floor plan is basically unchanged from what it was originally. It has not been “muddled.” They also restored the original Carriage House and added a 24 x 28-foot barn.

The Andrews have enjoyed living in this great house but they are ready to “down-size” and eager to turn over ownership and care to new owners.