Emma & Florence Monroe House – STRUCTURE ONLY
- 3,000 square feet
- Lot Size: N/A acres / Zoning: Residential
Preservation Greensboro Development Fund
Structure Must be Moved to be Saved
Built in 1915 by two sisters, the Emma and Florence Monroe house is available for RELOCATION.
This beautiful 3,000 square foot foursquare is very simple on the outside, with a very finely finished interior. The Fisher Park NRHP nomination calls it a Colonial Revival Foursquare: “Simply finished, hip-roofed house with front-hipped dormers, plain corner boards and frieze boards, and round-columned front porch.”
Inside are 12 and 10-foot ceilings, large rooms with intact original trim work, gracious front entry hall and two fireplaces with ornate bronze surrounds. The house also has two sets of 8-foot tall pocket doors; a butler’s pantry and an original built in dining room sideboard of tiger oak and leaded glass.
The ownership of the land can be traced back to Captain Basil Fisher. After his death the land passed through several hands until it sold to sisters Emma and Florence Monroe in 1912. The house was constructed between 1914-1915. Miss Emma Jane Monroe, 1860-1950, lived to age 90, and has no formal occupation listed. Miss Florence Estelle Monroe, 1874-1968, lived to the age of 94. She was a stenographer and notary for area law firms, and she was active in the N.C. Federation of Business and Professional Women’s Clubs. She served as local president in 1923. These two amazing women owned this house for over 50 years! The house remained in their name until 1969.
It would be a great loss if this lovely house ends up in a landfill. The entire block is under a 365 day demolition order pending re-development.
The price of the structure will depend on the circumstances of the relocation. Please inquire with the Preservation Greensboro Development Fund (743-223-0875 or email@example.com) about options.