Preservation NC sells Spray Cotton Mill, Dr. Clifton and Alice Champion House and the Arlington School
Spray Cotton Mill, Eden
Overlooking the beautiful Smith River and the Spray Canal, the 1896 Spray Cotton Mill was the first of eight mills constructed by B. Frank Mebane (and the longest-operating) within the Spray Industrial Historic District, an impressive concentration of North Carolina’s textile mill architecture in Eden, NC.
The mill was built on the site of the former Willson Aluminum Company where the process for making Calcium Carbide and Acetylene was discovered spawning a new industry for residential and industrial lighting which evolved into Union Carbide Corp. Today, the landscape around the mill consists of canals, waterfalls and a gentle slope toward the river
For more on the Spray Cotton Mill sale, click here.
Dr. Clifton and Alice Champion House, Mooresboro
This late 19th century brick beauty can once again be a point of pride in the small community of Mooresboro! Enjoy an idyllic setting nestled among the rolling foothills of western North Carolina, only about an hour from Asheville or Charlotte, as you admire the many original elements that remain in this house. The Clifton and Alice Champion House is also sited near the old roadbed, which has been proposed for a part of the Carolina Thread Trail. With more than 3 acres, the property could also accommodate horses, a popular pastime in nearby Polk County, which is home to the Tryon International Equestrian Center.
Arlington School, Gastonia
Erected in 1922 and expanded in 1944 and 1949, the Arlington School is a substantial, two story red brick Neo-Classical building housing a gymnasium, cafeteria, kitchen, auditorium and classrooms. It was originally built to serve several mill villages of the Arlington, Gray, Parkdale, and Mutual cotton mills in west Gastonia. There were thirteen schools in the Gastonia system in 1930 and now only Central School, Gastonia High School (both restored and used) and Arlington School survive. Of these survivors only the Arlington School was associated with the cotton mills and villages that were instrumental to the development of Gastonia.