- 3,386 square feet
- Lot Size: 0.47 acres / Zoning: Residential
Keller Williams Points East
, Regional Director
Preservation NC, Eastern Office
Located in the town of Colerain, the Henry-Beasley House is two-story, five-bay Greek Revival home featuring pedimented windows, molded corner posts, and paneled front door surrounded with transom and sidelights that flood the entryway with natural light. Interior features include original heart pine floors, elaborate window and door surrounds, and original paneling. The parlor features an ornate fireplace with Ionic columns, dentil molding, and ornate detailing.
The house was built around 1820 for Dr. Peyton T. Henry, a member of the North Carolina house of Representatives from 1860-1861 and a strong Unionist leader. The house was purchased by John J. Beasley in 1886, and expanded to include a two-story Victorian addition on the rear. The house remained in the Beasley family until the late 1990’s. Subsequently there has only been one other set of owners.
The chimney on the left of the house collapsed during Hurricane Matthew and needs to be rebuilt (main feature image is prior to chimney collapse). The property will need repairs to the plaster walls, painting to both interior and exterior, carpentry repairs, completing (or updating) the existing kitchen, and updates to the existing baths. The home has been vacant for several years so all systems will need to be inspected to determine whether updates are necessary (water is not currently on and propane tank for HVAC is no longer on the property).
Both the house and garage are listed on the National Register of Historic Places and eligible for historic tax credits.