2023 Annual Conference Sessions
We’re excited to see you for Preservation NC’s 2023 Annual Conference in Durham October 4-6!
For sponsorship questions, or to become a sponsor, contact Shannon Phillips at 919-832-3652 ext. 229 or email@example.com.
Announcing the 2023 Marion S. Covington Keynote Speaker: Donovan Rypkema
Older and Historic Buildings: The Solution to the Affordable Housing Crisis, not the Cause
All are invited (and encouraged!) to join us for the keynote presentation by Donovan Rypkema, principal of PlaceEconomics, a Washington, D.C.-based real estate and economic development-consulting firm with a career of experience analyzing the economic impacts of historic preservation. The keynote will address the ways that older housing is meeting affordability needs, and also the attitudes of preservation professionals towards affordable housing. This session will be free and open to the public, regardless of conference registration.
Below are some tours, workshops, and field sessions you can look forward to at this year’s conference. Check back next week for more details including registration, session schedule, and locations!
2023 Annual Conference Tours, Workshops, and Field Sessions:
- Preservation in Historic Hillsborough – Historic District Walking Tour
- Chapel Hill’s William C. Coker House, c. 1908 – Historic Residence and Garden Tour
- Plain Boards and Cast-Off Bricks: Preserving the Legacy of Pauli Murray and the Memory and the Fitzgerald Family – National Historic Landmark Site Tour
- American Tobacco Campus: 20 Years After the Purchase – Field Session and Tour
- Historic Maplewood Cemetery
- Historic Beechwood Cemetery
- Dean Ruedrich Traditional Trades Workshop: Introduction to Cemetery Monument Maintenance at Historic Geer Cemetery
- Architectural & Urban Landscape – Downtown Walking Tour
- Durham’s Civil Rights History – Downtown Walking Tour
- Geer Street/Rigsbee Corridor Walking Tour – Historic District Walking Tour