Charles T. Sinclair House – UNDER CONTRACT
- 5,437 square feet
- Lot Size: 2.54+ acres / Zoning: Residential
, Regional Director
Preservation NC, Piedmont Office
Stylishly detailed Neoclassical Revival house built in 1914 from plans by noted Raleigh architect Frank B. Simpson. Located in a prominent location in the Carthage Historic District, the Charles T. Sinclair House offers 12 beautifully appointed rooms for use as a residence or inn!
Architectural and Historical Information
This stylishly detailed Neoclassical Revival house was built for local merchant Charles T. Sinclair and his wife Mamie in 1914 from plans by noted Raleigh architect Frank B. Simpson. Simpson, whose work included commercial, institutional and residential projects across the state, designed this exquisite large house in the latest fashion during a time when well-heeled northeasterners were moving to resort communities such as Pinehurst and Southern Pines. Sited on a prominent location along McReynolds Street in the Carthage Historic District, the Charles T. Sinclair House offers 12 beautifully appointed rooms for use as a residence or B&B inn.
The once monumental semicircular front portico with Corinthian columns was removed several years ago and will need to be restored. Remaining original exterior features include the use of blonde brick, a porte-cochère and one-story side porch ornamented with Corinthian columns and balustrades, and a double-leaf main entrance framed by an elliptical fanlight of art glass and large sidelights which is repeated above and on either side by equally impressive tripartite windows topped by art glass fanlights. A balcony above the front entrance is supported by boldly proportioned Craftsman-style brackets. The roof is adorned with a front dormer, pressed metal shingles, ornamental wrought iron cresting, and tall corbelled brick chimneys.
The interior features a grand columned entrance with sweeping staircase is framed by columned arches and a lighted newel post. The large parlors with coved ceilings and elegant woodwork including pocket doors, tall mirrored mantels, wood floors throughout, and period lighting have been preserved. A sizable catering kitchen would benefit from updates. While the house is habitable with functioning HVAC and a few half baths, no full bathroom exists. Areas of deferred maintenance including some water infiltration, soffit repair, reconstruction of the front portico, repainting, and other upgrades as necessary await the new owner.
The Charles T. Sinclair House is a contributing structure within the Carthage Historic District and is eligible for historic preservation tax credits.
The Town of Carthage was established in 1776 and serves as the county seat of Moore County, which was predominantly settled by Scottish immigrants traveling up the Cape Fear valley. The success of the local buggy manufacturing, furniture, and timber industries led to the construction of many of the historic homes now found along Carthage’s main streets. Home to world class golf and equestrian centers, Pinehurst and Southern Pines are only 20 minutes away. Other recreational areas include the beautiful Uwharrie Mountains where outdoor enthusiasts can enjoy boating, hiking and history/archaeology in just 40 minutes. Residents can reach the Research Triangle Park/Raleigh- Durham area or Fayetteville within an hour.