Burke County Project Among 13 in State to Receive Grant Funding
Governor Pat McCrory Announced the awarding of $105,000 in Grant Funding for 13 Historic Preservation Projects in the state, including one in Burke County.
The Historic Preservation Fund is a federal matching grant program administered jointly by the National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior, and the state Historic Preservation Office. Each fall, the HPO announces the availability of competitive HPF grants to the 48 local governments in North Carolina that are designated as CLGs by the National Park Service.
Locally, more than $11,000 has been awarded for a Roof Repair at Quaker Meadows Plantation in Morganton. Working through the City of Morganton, the Historic Burke Foundation was awarded a federal Historic Preservation Fund grant of $11,100 to repair the cedar shingle roof on the McDowell House at Quaker Meadows.
Constructed in 1812 by Captain Charles McDowell, Jr., the McDowell House is believed to be the oldest surviving brick house in Burke County. The house was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1973 and is a designated local landmark. The Historic Burke Foundation, Inc. will provide $3,514 in matching funds for the project.